Thursday, April 25, 2013

RAYMONDSHOPE MONTHLY FUNDRAISING EFFORT:

VERY IMPORTANT & SERIOUS POST 

Well, today is the day that I have to set my pride aside to do what is right for my son. I am a very independent person and do not like to ask for help. In fact, I will exhaust every avenue first before I do. But cancer is unforgiving and does not allow me the luxury of procrastinating and putting off what must be done.  

The state of Florida is still requesting information and waiting on medical records and whatever other red tape that they can come up with to put off approving Raymond's medicaid application. He had to resort to Polk County Health Plan which, as anyone on any county run insurance plan knows, pays for virtually nothing. They are not covering his pain medications, which the oncologist called in for a preauthorization for, nor one of his antinausea medications. Those two alone are $85.00 for a 10 day supply. He has 4 months worth of chemo to go through, which is causing migraine headaches and nausea as expected. Therefore, at $85.00/10 days for 4 months, we are looking at $1040 just for the meds.  As per my usual M.O, I am seeking other avenues to cover the meds such as placing an application for free or reduced meds through the manufacturers of them. However, in the meantime, my son is holding his head in pain. Anyone who has ever had a migraine can relate. The one nausea medication that the health plan does cover is helping some, but the oncologist said that the two nausea meds she prescribed really work in tandem to be the most effective. 

Another expense we are running into is the hospital bills that are starting to pour in already from the surgery and subsequent care since January. The chemotherapy and all related expenses are now being covered by Winter Haven Hospital, bless their souls! But the bills prior to chemotherapy are still our responsibility.

Then there is the transportation costs of getting to the treatments daily. He has finally gotten approved for Polk County Transit, which will take him from now on to his treatments and to his related medical appointments, but since January our neighbor, Paul Currie (another kind soul) and a friend, Dakkota Dudzik, have been our main sources of transportation. I have given both of them gas money when I can, but I'd really like to be able to fill each of their tanks at least once to show our gratitude.

Our air conditioner for the house needs a freon charge, but it's not broken so the landlord has suggested that we "get fans" to stay cool as he refuses to pay for what he considers "creature comforts". Under normal circumstances I would agree, but Raymond's chemo meds raise his core body temperature to begin with and we live in sunny Florida that is already peaking 80 degree temperatures most days. Therefore, on top of writhing in pain and feeling the nausea, he is also sweating bullets when he tries to rest... and he is extremely fatigued, as you can imagine.

Towards the goal of paying for all of the above plus whatever else comes up, and to alleviate the added pressure of financial strain, I have started a fundraiser to run for a month at a time called "Raymondshope." You can find the link at the top of the column to the right of the posts. I am very much hoping that I will only need the extra help for one month and that everything will fall into place with the other resources I am seeking. Lord knows, the economic times being what they are, not many of us can afford donations of any kind. Please consider helping my son financially if you are able, but if you are not, the page has a section called "Hugs" where you can just leave words of encouragement and even advice on who we can turn to for help during this trying time. 

And now, as I knew would happen, my cheeks are beginning to feel hot and my pride is a bit bruised and I am embarassed to be having to ask for any type of handout but, being a mother, we do anything necessary (within the constraints of the law and morality, of course) for our children.

Thank you so much for listening!

1 comment:

  1. hi pam it's kansas ray's first ex gf from years ago..i'd so like to let you know that i'm also in the same thing meaning the cancer because my own mom is also battling with cancer stage 4 colon cancer so i know how ray feels..and plus yes i have been reading through all this on here and it's alil hard for me to keep reading because it makes me feel upset for him knowing my mom is got cancer too as well .... i hope to here back from you ... love kansas

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I thank you kindly for taking the time to read my blog.